Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day 21

I think it was forgetting to post last night and having to write one this morning, but the remaining days are moving fast! I almost forgot to post this evening as well.

I think I mentioned that I went vegetarian as a test to see if I could do it for a month. I did and I didn't stop. I stopped eating fish last September and have been strickly "lacto-ovo" up until this challenge. Just because you're vegetarian, doesn't mean you eat well; Del Taco, eggs, cheese, pizza and the occasional salad is still considered vegetarian. I still smoked and drank often and didn't get too much exercise.

Let's go back to this time last year. I went to a local blood drive and donated with no complications, but they were concerned of my blood pressure. It was high... high enough to warrant a lifestyle change. As a result, I did nothing... as most people do. Last December, I donated a pint before the holidays and my blood pressure was still the same.  By mid-January, it was time to stop smoking anyway and drinking went along with it. So 4 months of no cigs and booze PLUS 21 days of a plant based diet dropped my blood pressure down to "safe" level. It still needs a little more to go, but I can honestly say, it only needs "a little" more to go! I feel freaking fantastic about that! I almost got a bit emotional when I heard that... then I realized that I don't get emotional over most things - I'll just pat myself on the back. Good job Ryan... good job!

This new knowledge has solidified the desire to go plant-based full time. At the very least, allowing oil into the diet every now and again because it's tough to go out and avoid it.

A friend heard that I gave blood and mentioned that I did it after going on a vegan diet. I did the donation while STILL on the vegan diet and it felt like it was nothing! I gave double the red cells too! I still took a nap because it was very easy to do, but I woke up after 30 minutes and went to Disneyland for a few hours. My energy level is still up and my brain is on overdrive!

Plant-Based Diet ≥ Flowers for Algernon

Because I didn't plan on being out as late as I was, I didn't bring snacks like I've been trying to do. After Disneyland, I stopped off at Whole Foods and then went to Native Foods to bring food home and wolf it down at 9PM. Eating late is never good.

 Here is my day.

Breakfast
Simple Cereal

Snack (post blood donation)
Orange juice
Trail mix

Lunch
Lavish bread wrap with seitan, guacamole and spring mix

Dinner
BBQ Seitan sandwich from Native Foods
Edamame 


Dessert
4oz glass of Almond milk
Vegan chocolate chip cookie

No comments:

Post a Comment